Sunday, December 27, 2009

What can I use to wash my bedroom walls?

They are a light salmon color. I haven't washed them in about 4 years, so they are pretty heavily stained. I don't want to use anything with bleach - it would take out the color. What could I use to really get them cleaned up?





My boyfriend was a smoker too, so there is nicotine stains.What can I use to wash my bedroom walls?
I can't believe no one has suggested this yet -- ammonia! It's inexpensive and does a better job then just about anything. It has a strong odor, but if that's a problem you could try one of those charcoal dust masks.





TSP is also a great cleaner, but it microscopically etches the surface; not normally obvious to the naked eye, but may make future cleaning a bit harder. TSP is best used prior to repainting.





Try and get your bf to quit smoking... if he hasn't already. :)What can I use to wash my bedroom walls?
You can use bleach water it isnt going to take the color out. I use bleach water on everything. That is what I use to clean my walls. There is also this stuff called fabuloso that I use to clean everything with. You can use it on walls, floors and about everything. For the nicotine stains bleach water will take that off for the most part. My husband and I smoke too. I have learned that 409 eats through about anything. I usually spray the walls with 409 spray and then wipe the walls down with bleach water. It works. I put a cap full of bleach per gallon of water. Also with the nicotine stains make sure you keep your rag clean or else the nicotine isnt going to come off all the way. Good Luck!
Your Walls are stained with all that tobacco smoke. The best thing to use is what you do not want to use, bleach and I mean strait bleach. It being paint the bleach will not take the color out of the walls; it will however return your walls to their original color and vibrancy.use a sponge mop and a sponge be sure to put down a plastic drop cloth so as not to ruin your carpet. Don't forget to wear rubber gloves.


If you decide to paint instead use ';Kills'; paint it is made to cover over marker and other stains that will bleed through regular paint. it comes in a light gray color which looks very nice. You can however paint over it in any color you wish.
Get the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those things really do work wonders. You don't have to worry about water mixing with paint or wallpaper. Just remember to use gloves while using this, as there have been cases of allergic reaction.





Always be sure to test a small spot in a hidden area for color fastness.





Another option would be to use a lightly damp cloth with a cleaning solution like Formula 409, or another all-purpose cleaner.





If you choose to repaint, get a brand that stops/blocks stains from ';bleeding'; through, because of the nicotine. That stuff is really bad about showing through new paint.
Get yourself a sponge mop (will cover larger areas and making it easier to reach to the top) and a bucket and use mild dish detergent, a small amount of it. You don't want to cover your walls with too much soap.





Get another bucket of clean water and rinse. Do not soak your walls either because this will soak to the walls.





This will be very time consuming.





Other option is to repaint.








:-)
Try a petroleum-based cleaner like ';Lift Off 2';. It gets almost anything out. I would also try Goo Gone or Desolv-It. I use those to get the sap out of my boyfriend's work clothes (he owns a tree service). I also used the Lift Off to get that spray foam off of our bathroom floor, worked wonders! You can get any of those products either at Home Depot or Walmart.
I would use a very diluted all purpose cleaner like Awesome or Fantastic....Test it in an inconspicuous area first..It it's flat paint, you may rub off some of the paint, satin finish you're probably o.k, semigloss or gloss and you're totally good to go.. :-)
Try Mr.Clean in a bucket with the warmest water you can stand, because I smoke I wash the walls down in the whole house at least once a year and this is what I use.
The best thing I've found for tobacco stains is rubbing alcohol. It dissolves the tar (that's what makes the stains, not nicotine) and lets you wipe it off.
well if its glossed wallpaper just use a sponge and soapy water, if its paper that would really soak up water then there's no way, only way for that is using a pencil rubber which would take ages
you just need some warm soapy water, washing up liquid works well as it has degreasing properties so will lift off the dirt, make sure u dry the parts u wash straight away afterwards
Use some nicorette and a lot of Windex.
Paint your walls.
just paint

No comments:

Post a Comment