Monday, December 21, 2009

Is there a non-ammonia way to wash walls?

My father is a very heavy smoker so my mom needs to wash the walls before the place gets painted. It needs to be done tomorrow but at 35掳C heat I'm not too keen on ammonia in the house, is there another way? The walls are very very brown and have not been washed in about five years.Is there a non-ammonia way to wash walls?
Try a sugar soap soloution, Its great for cleaing walls just before you paint as it removes all the grease and smoke stains . Does not give off any fumes so can be used in a hot room.





Good luck and happy scrubbingIs there a non-ammonia way to wash walls?
sugar soap
Trisodium phosphate (TSP). Buy it at any hardware or paint store.
I have never heard of ammonia to clean walls. For nichotine, mix soda with water, and apply with sponge, the brown sludge will fall off. Before painting, use sugar soap, this can be a spray or powder mixed with water, but I say wait til it gets cooler cos its hard work.
i had to clean a really bad room years ago for someone and i know it is awful i used either bleech or sugar soap or soda crystals? hope this helps
TSP will help, but for major staining, you may be better off using one of the Zinsser primers like Coverstain- I work in a paint store, have used it to cover my own nasty nicotine tracks, and it's good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment