Friday, January 8, 2010

I bought a house that the former owner was a heavy smoker, I washed the walls,ceiling and had carpet cleaned.

The house still smells, I have left all windows open too. Is their a remedy to get rid of smell. Most of the walls are expensive paneling. I dont want to paint if possible. Any ideas would be appreciated.I bought a house that the former owner was a heavy smoker, I washed the walls,ceiling and had carpet cleaned.
Wow Fresh paint really does the trick.


The carpet should probably be replaced, there is most likely a lot of ash underneath it.


My new place was the same way. I had to change the carpet, Primer the entire floor with Kilz Primer to kill the smell on the wood under the carpet. Then I painted over the popcorn ceiling they had ( it was stained yellow-brown) and that still was not enough.


Once the new carpet was laid the smell was pretty much gone. I had to wash and replace the window screens cuz they were nasty.


What are you washing your walls with? Is it strong enough; Scented? you should probably paint them I hate to say it.


Good luck, Once you get most of it, your scents from living in the house will overtake the smoke smell such as: Cooking maybe some garlic or strong smelling foods, washing dishes with scented soaps, burning scented candles and stuff like that.I bought a house that the former owner was a heavy smoker, I washed the walls,ceiling and had carpet cleaned.
Pull your expensive paneling off and throw it away. Repaint the wall and then replace the paneling.
Try using a mixture of baking soda %26amp; water to wash the walls again.
replace the carpet pad and wash the drapes and windows.
That was a good idea but It still stinks dosen't it?! I would say that you picked the house you liked and thats what matters! If it is home than just learn to love it. If not contact me to give you some more advice on how to handle it.
Don't buy things that belonged to a smoker. We still had smoke stains bleeding out of the bathroom walls after 10 years of us owning the home.
Hmm...


I had to hire a professional cleaner and I had to do a lot of remodeling.


I use to own a tiny 2 bedroom house from the 1920s and the lady who lived there (1920's-1990s) smoked all the time. I had to end up remodeling the home, inside and out.
try buying a few sceneted candles or eazy breeze use it for a week and the house will soon smell as good as new
light a bunch of safety matches in closed room. air out after couple of hours. arrange shallow bowls of vinegar arround the house. vry effective.
  • oil production
  • make lip gloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment